Make ESA fit for work
Don’t cut off people’s benefits while the Government gives a second opinion on who is fit for work
Fair play for prepay campaign
Citizens Advice is running a national campaign, from autumn 2014 to spring 2015, to get a fairer deal for energy customers with a prepayment meter (PPM).
What’s the issue?
- PPM users too often receive poor service, lack of innovation and lack of choice, but generally pay more for their energy than direct debit customers.
- Lack of competition and fewer tariffs to switch to.
- PPM users often face problems managing their energy use, which do not affect credit customers, eg lost or faulty keys or metering equipment and risk of self-disconnection (16 per cent of users).
- Lack of convenient places to top up and limited innovation in top up methods - most pay with cash at shops or post offices.
- Vulnerable PPM users sometimes miss out on financial support. The Warm Homes Discount (WHD) is sent out by suppliers by cheque.
What do we want?
- better customer service and support with easier top ups
- a fair choice of tariffs in line with other payment methods
- a smarter prepay offer that works for consumers